Tuesday 1 September 2015

20/8/15 -CHINE COLLE WITH MARBLED PAPER

Whilst on holiday in Cornwall I came across some beautiful hand marbled pink and grey paper in a second hand book shop. I thought this woud be interesting to use as chine colle as the colours reminded me of the brick work of Park Hill. (Chine colle is a printmaking technique whereby paper of a different colour or texture is adhered to the overall piece. It usually involves sticking precut shapes of paper to the heavier support paper in the printing process.)  I cut squares of the marbled paper to fit the bricked up areas of the print using carbon paper on one of my earlier prints to trace the shapes accurately.


The stone was inked - (using just Noir a monter ink and the squares of cut marbled paper were placed image side down on the stone and pritt stick glue placed on the non image side of the marbled paper-(see below)





A dampened sheet of watercolour paper was carefully placed on top of the glued cut shapes and then the stone run was through the litho press - Heres the print! (I also added some blue and gold marbled paper on the left hand side of the print)





 It seemed to worked quite well and I thought I would try this again next week but using a different ink combination As the noir a monter alone didnt give the lovely velvety black that I got when I added crayon black ink to the mix,

Serena also showed me another way of adding colour to the prints. A large piece of cartridge paper was coated thinly with water based varnish on both sides - care being taken not to incorporate brush strokes. Small squares were then cut up as in the chine colle cut outs above and then inked and then placed ink side up on paper to accept the print.

I didn't have time to try this method out but will have a go another time!








No comments:

Post a Comment